Across the globe, we’ve all been asked to do our part to help contain the spread of COVID-19. Social distancing, self-quarantining, and self-isolation are just a few of the terms floating around to remind us to stay inside.
It’s still pretty uncertain when our lives will return ‘back to normal,’ and until that day comes, we have to hunker down, stay home, and patiently wait for this quarantine to be over.
So to help make all this time spent at home a little easier, we’ve assembled the ultimate guide to self-quarantining. It contains ideas to keep you inspired, informed, productive, creative, and most importantly, not bored.
Get The Facts First
Updates regarding COVID-19 seem to change by the minute, so it’s important to stay in the loop of what’s happening. You don’t want to miss any critical information.
- Follow CDC guidelines and check for updates on prevention and treatment.
- Follow the World Health Organization (WHO) for reports and all information on the outbreak.
- Follow Dr. Dena Grayson, MD, PhD. on Twitter to get all of your questions answered regarding COVID-19.
Digital Tools for Working from Home
If you’re adjusting to working from home, it helps to have a few tools to keep you productive and in communication with your team. We recommend these:
- UberConference for web conferencing and online meetings.
- Zoom for video conferencing. BONUS: There’s a filter on Zoom you can use to look better on your video calls. Learn how to turn on the setting here.
- Tomato timer uses the Pomodoro Technique to encourage you to knock out tasks in 25-minute cycles.
- Slack allows you to instantly message people in your organization. Share files, updates, jokes—the list goes on.
For proposals, legal documents, etc.
- DocuSign lets you easily send and sign documents electronically.
Learn from The Futur
With much of our free time being spent at home, self-quarantining doesn’t have to mean sitting and staring at the ceiling. Instead, let’s exercise our brains and learn something new.
As a matter of fact, we’ve temporarily reduced tuition for all of our courses. Now’s the perfect time to pick up a new skill, whether it’s creative, business-oriented, or for personal development. What course is calling out to you?
- Master Typography with our most popular design course, Typography 01. Then, take your type skills up a notch with our Hand-Lettering Kit.
- Negotiate like a pro with the guidance in our featured business course, How to Negotiate.
- Run your projects profitably and friction-free with the Practical Project Management course.
- Change your mindset, change your business with the Be Your Best Self lecture (100% free right now!).
- Share your projects and process in a way that helps you win more work with the Complete Case Study.
- Browse all our other courses here.
Free downloadable resources
- Personal Branding Worksheet
- Focus Worksheet
- Pitch Evaluation Worksheet
- Browse all of our other resources here.
Books to check out
- Essential Reading for Creative Professionals: Vol. 1
- Essential Design Books
- Ten Business Books All Creatives Need to Read
Learn anything from our content
Featured YouTube playlists
- Overcome your fear and anxiety surrounding the virus with the help of Wesley Anne Little, LPC.
- Tune into our conversation with Dr. Otto Yang as he helps us separate fact from fiction regarding COVID-19.
- Lower your expenses and keep your finances afloat with the guidance from Errol Gerson.
More Learning Resources
This is the Internet, after all, and you can learn just about anything anywhere. We recommend these online platforms for anything else you might want to learn while self-quarantining:
For the curious
- YouTube Learning lets you learn literally anything, from study tips, illustration, computer science, to fitness.
- PBS Digital Studios houses educational series on a variety of topics.
- Pop into free virtual museums, concerts, plays, and more on CNN style.
For the college course lovers
- Class Central offers over 500 online Ivy League courses, completely free.
- edX gives you access to over 2500 courses from the world’s 140 top institutions and universities.
For the career chasers
- Google Digital Garage helps you learn today’s most in-demand skills.
- Ran Segall’s Webflow courses will have you building professional, custom websites in no time. Check out his two courses: The $10k Website Process and Webflow Masterclass. Get 25% off the Webflow Masterclass with the code FRIENDS-OF-FUTUR.
For the tech-savvy
- freeCodeCamp offers free coding lessons and certifications in a variety of languages.
- The Odin Project offers a free curriculum for you to jumpstart your web development career.
- Unity Learn provides courses, tutorials, and live learning sessions to master coding, 3D animation, and more.
For the marketer in you
- Digital Marketer is the online learning hub for all things marketing. Get certified in content marketing, social media marketing, copywriting, and more.
For the kids